Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Look Back - Part 2 - or not


I have decided that as much as I wanted to make the first few posts a "catch-up" from the last 2 years, a journal of sorts, something I can look back on with my kids someday and remember the important moments of my life... I kind of want to move on to other things. I'm already bored with typing/reading about my own life!
 
I will jump ahead to now...this is where my story gets really fun...in my opinion anyway
 
Our son
 


Makes your heart melt, right? These amazing pictures were taken by one of our very good friends, Courtney Rose.
 
His name is Brody Ray Lowder
(aka, "Boog"...not as in booger, just boog. The hubs started calling him that and it stuck...poor kid)
 
He was two weeks old when we had these pictures taken. I was still brand new at the whole mom thing. I'm still new at it, but it is MUCH easier a few months in. That first month or two was hard(understatement of the year). So very, very worth it, but also hard.
 
It was extremely scary, because I didn't know the first thing about newborns! Sure, I've held one or two in my life, but I handed them back, usually when they started crying. This time, I'M the one the baby gets handed back to when it cries...
I don't know what to do!! Why are you giving him to me?!?!
 
 
As the weeks went on, I became more relaxed (aka, less hormonal) I began to learn my baby. What he likes, doesn't like, his schedule, etc. It became a challenge for me to figure him out. Kind of a game. I Googled everything you can imagine. I found that the "mom chat sites" were my favorite place to go when I had a question. I didn't sign up for them, I would just ask Google a question like "why does my baby spit up so much" or "when will my 3 month old stop spitting up!" and it would pull up tons of links. Usually the first few were mom chat sites and this same question had been asked by a women (or man) and all of these moms would respond with their advice and experiences.
 
 
I know some moms don't want to hear the advice of random women, but I found it very comforting to read all of the responses to a question. Even if there wasn't a clear answer from any of them (which there usually was), I still found comfort in knowing all of these women had gone, or were going through the same exact thing.
I wasn't alone in this.
Also, there are some very interesting people out there, with some very interesting parenting techniques, so it can be a form of entertainment if not educational. (warning: it can also be very frustrating at times. Sometimes you just want to reach through the computer and slap people)
 
Anyway, I Googled, I read books (I highly recommend "Baby Wise" and "Solve You Child's Sleep Problems" we are strong believers in the "cry it out" method) I did far more "research" in the first 2 months of his life, than I've ever done in my 28...ok, 31 years. It became kind of an addiction. I now have a head full of random knowledge, but it comes in handy at times.
 
I would like to do a post in the next couple of weeks on some of the details of my experience so far.
I absolutely LOVED reading blogs of other moms, what they did, what worked, didn't work, etc. Maybe it will be helpful to someone.
 
 
I'm loving every minute of being a mom. Even the hard moments are wonderful in one way or another. I know this is what I was called to be. There will be other things I do in life, but this is by far the tops. Right up there with being a wife to the hubs. Anything else I do or become, will be second to this (and God of course ; )
 
This may become more of a mom blog...
 
Who knows what this will become!
 

Kisses for Mimi

The whole fam!
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. You're 31??? Oh my gosh! You don't look a day over 25 ;)

    Loving that your are blogging & loving this blog!!!

    xoxo
    fella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I love you Fella!! Thank you so much! I'm irritated cause I posted a comment on one of your posts the other day and I think I did it wrong, cause its not there now!! It was a really good comment. All mushy and heart-felt. Telling you how much I love your heart for women and how Im so blessed that you are my best and blah blah blah. It was straight from the heart. I don't know if I can write it again, it will be forced the second time around! Still true though =)

      Delete
    2. hahaha I love you! You are a great writer, by the way. I can't remember if I told you or not but you are SUPER good! I agree with Bitty bellow! You're gonna have a million followers soon!

      Delete
  2. He really is a doll! And I am LOVING your writing style. It's wonderful, like having a conversation with you...just easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This was so very encouraging to me!! You just made my day =)

      Delete
  3. I had just checked your blog earlier and was sad you had not posted yet :) this brightened my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are finally blogging and I get to read all your wonderful posts Tab! You have such a beautiful family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly! That means a lot. I've been reading blogs more regularly now that I've started my own, so I'm excited to follow along with you on your blog...since I don't get to see you every day anymore. I'm praying for BIG news on your blog (or in a text message) soon ;)

      Delete
  5. I don't care what society says- being a wife and mommy is the hardest yet most rewarding job a woman can do! I am thrilled that God chose that as my calling, and excited that you are there too. Hopefully we can hang out some now that we are living like 10 minutes apart!

    And, I totally related to the Google thing! HA! It was so comforting. I thought FOR SURE I would be the first one to google "Is it normal for my baby to projectile poop" but NOPE, many others had been there. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I cant wait to share stories with you! Its so fun to talk to moms now that I am one. I probably didn't show much appreciation for mothers when they talked about their kids all the time, but now I'm there, and I totally get it! Now I could talk for hours with other moms about kids and babies =)

      Delete
  6. I really love your blog, Tabitha! So beautifully written!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brittany! I'm enjoying this so much and everyone's encouragement has meant a lot. Not only have I started my own, but now I'm regularly reading other people's blogs and I'm hooked! Not that Pinterest and Facebook didn't take enough of my time =) I love your blog, you have such a genuine and sweet spirit. It shows in everything you do. I'll be following, cause I'm excited to see what is in store for you and your hubby.

      Delete
    2. You are so great at it! I enjoy reading blogs, too, especially ones where I know the person's heart is after God :) You're such a beautiful, inspiring woman! And I'm honored that you've read my blog.

      Delete