Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Thrifty Outfit Post

My first outfit post!

Some of my favorite blogs are the fashion blogs where every day girls have pictures of themselves in cute outfits. Outfits normal girls can wear and afford. It gives me inspiration.
Some of the styles out there are way out of my comfort zone, but how cool that they have the confidence to have fun with what they wear, and then to post it on the internet where everyone can see. This is my goal. To have more fun with my clothes.
(Don't worry, I have bigger goals in life)

Confession: I have a TON of clothes in my closet.
Phew, that felt good. Now that I have that off my chest, I can also confess that I STILL stare into it thinking "I have NOTHING to wear".
Seriously.
What is that about!!??

I can go shopping, need to buy more hangers because of my shopping spree, and two days later stare into my closet completely stumped...and proceed to put on one of my go-to outfits.
B-o-r-i-n-g.

I've decided that my problem is that I have so much, I don't know where to start, so I just play it safe. This is why I like to read blogs and scan Pinterest (aka, internet "crack")
I get ideas, go to my closet, and try to recreate what I saw with what I have.
Doesn't work as well as I would like...I still shop for more.
=)
 
I don't pretend to be fashion forward...cause I'm not. But I love clothes, I love fashion, and mostly I love shopping. Mostly, mostly, I love thrift store shopping!
 
Its like a sport for me.
The hubs thinks of it as more of a disease...probably because he has to pay for it.
 I tell him I'm saving him money, I could be shopping at Nordstrom's =)
 
Of course, there are rules to thrift store shopping.
 
Rules:
 
1. Don't purchase underwear at a thrift store (this is a great rule)
2. Shoes are ok, but they need to be inspected. Nobody wants to end up with some kind of foot fungi.
3. Commit. Look through everything! If you just scan, you will miss the good stuff and never go back.
 
I recently went to Savers with my mom and found quite a few things.
Here are some pictures of my almost completely thrifted outfit...almost.
 













 
Jeans: Gap-Thrifted
Blazer: Thrifted
Belt: Thrifted
Shoes: Nine West-Thrifted (no fungi)
Racer back tank: Forever 21 (old)
Bubble necklace: Wet Seal
Gold "B" Necklace: "Push Present" from the hubs for 10 hours of labor =)
Bulldog: Craigslist (Yep, even our dog is second hand) 

 


10 comments:

  1. I love your outfit! So clean, crisp and sophisticated. I love the idea of thrift shopping. I go antiquing on the regular and find amazing deals for our home, but I am not as good at thrifting clothes! TEACH ME! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this look on you Tab! Hot mama!
    What kind of camera are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks chica!
      Its just my old digital I've had for years. Its a Canon Photo Shot.

      Delete
    2. *Power shot
      Not photo shot =)

      Delete
  3. You are lovely! And I love that Todd gave you a "push present"...that's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you friend! And yes, he did a good job, didn't he. =)))

      Delete
  4. Cute!! I never find anything thrifting. Maybe because I'm guilty of rule #3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With 4 kids, I'm guessing you don't have a lot of time to look through an entire thrift store hoping to find a good pair of jeans ;) When I have 4 (Lord willing)I will most likely be shopping online...or Target needs to come up with a drive through for moms!

      Delete
  5. i think all women at one point or another always lament on how we have nothing to wear, all the clothes have worn out their newness or you feel nothing looks good on you at that moment so we say we have nothing to wear. that is the time to "shop" your closet, try different combinations of clothes you haven't put together yet and if in doubt put a necklace on your dog, i love it!!

    ReplyDelete